28 Nov Sugar Free Slow BBQ Chicken Thighs
Low and Slow BBQ Chicken Thighs Recipe
Summer isn’t the same without the good old kiwi Barbie! But did you know that most sauces and condiments are filled with hidden sugars! 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce alone can have a whole teaspoon of sugar! But BBQ season would not be the same without the delicious sauces and marinades that add to the flavour of grilled dishes. Now you can make your own marinade with xylitol, which will cook and taste exactly the same as one with sugar, but much healthier (and lower on calories!). Here is a great recipe to try on the BBQ this summer.
- 8 chicken thighs about 2½ lbs with or without skin
- 1/3 cup coarse salt
- 1/3 cup Spry® Xylitol Sweetener
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups water
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large glass bowl.
- Add water and mix thoroughly.
- Add the chicken and allow it to marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Set the barbecue for indirect grilling (light one side of the grill to high and leave the other side off, placing the chicken thighs on the side that’s off) Cook the chicken for 2-3 hours, flipping halfway.
- Feel free to baste with more sauce.
- You’ll know the chicken is done when the thickest part reaches 80˚ C.